Well hopefully another happy couple has enjoyed the neurotic services of William Lawson! The day's activities went something like this:
- 12 noon - pick up at the gorgeous Hacienda Chichen hotel;
- drive to Valladolid, with stops at the Ik Kil and Dzitnup cenotes, additional stops along the way for chinas, mandarinas and fresh, cold coconut water;
- a brief tour of Valladolid, consisting of walking around the main square and buying some memory for the digital camera, as well as a visit to the convent San Bernadino de Siena, where we had a 'mini-tour' from one of the men who works there, translated from Spanish to English by yours truly;
- enjoying stomach-bursting Yucatecan-food lunch in Valladolid;
- driving in a food-induced stupor to Ek Balam ruins, which we made just in time since they close at 4:30 pm;
- followed by a visit to the Eco Genesis hotel in the town of Ek Balam, to check out this eclectic hotel run by a very nice Canadian lady in the middle of practically no-where;
- after which there were photo ops with kids and a lady making a hammock right there in Ek Balam;
- and then a quick stop at Temozon to sample (and buy) some of their smoked meat
- after which, finally, driving back to Merida for hotel check in.
All in all, a complete and rather exhausting day! This was a full day trip.